Email to a friend
How to Start an Exercise Program
By Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
If you?d like to start a new exercise program, pick any sport or activity that uses continuous motion (such as running, fast walking, cycling, swimming, skating, rowing, dancing) that you think you might enjoy. Start out at a relaxed pace until your muscles feel heavy and then stop. For the first several days or weeks you may be able to exercise only for a few minutes. Increase the amount of time gradually until you can exercise 30 minutes a day at a relaxed pace and not feel sore. Take a day off or go very easy any time you have any muscle soreness.
If you're happy with this program, you don't need to go any further. However, if you want to improve, follow the training methods that competitive athletes use. When a 30-minute session is easy for you, you are ready to begin training for fitness. Try to increase the intensity of your exercise on one day a week. Do your jogging, cycling or whatever you have chosen as your sport at a slow pace to warm up. Then gradually increase the pace until you start to feel short of breath and your muscles start to feel sore, and then slow down. Then when you recover, pick up the pace again. Repeat these surges until your muscles start to stiffen and then quit for the day. Take the next day off and go easy the rest of the week. Then once a week, keep on making your one-day-a-week hard workout harder and harder. You will be continuously increasing your level of fitness.
Before you start any new exercise program, check with your doctor to make sure that you do not have anything wrong with your heart or blood vessels. Intense exercise won?t hurt a healthy heart, but it can increase your risk for a heart attack if you already have a damaged heart.
Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
www.DrMirkin.comMore on exercise and heart attack risk
4404 times read
| Related news
- Exercise - Are You Getting Enough?
by SharonK posted on Nov 08,2005
- Brain Power Through Exercise
by StevenG posted on Oct 28,2005
- Oblique Facts About Abs Workouts
by JohnH posted on Oct 01,2005
- The Exercises of Falun Dafa
by LifeDynamix posted on Sep 06,2005
- Aerobic Training
by Othon posted on Jul 31,2005
- Yoga Your Way To A Happy Vacation
by Roy posted on Jul 04,2005
- Get Out And Play: Top 7 Outdoor Exercises
by Aaron posted on Jun 15,2005
- Muscle Fitness ? Can Yoga Make You Stronger?
by Della posted on Jun 08,2005
- Pulling Your Own Weight
by Art posted on Mar 30,2005
- Reward Yourself
by LifeDynamix posted on Mar 29,2004
- Make Your New Year's Resolution Stick
by Lynn Bode posted on Dec 29,2005
- Winter Exercise Tips To Help You Stay Fit
by Lynn Bode posted on Jan 15,2006
- Hot Yoga - Cleansing Your Mind, Body, and Soul
by Patrick Forbes posted on Jan 18,2006
- 10 Ways To Keep Your Strength Workout Fresh And Effective
by Lynn Bode posted on Feb 09,2006
- Climb to Health
by Harvey B. Simon, M.D. posted on Feb 13,2006
- How to Get Around Excuses for Not Exercising
by Jim O Neill posted on Mar 18,2006
- How to Make Exercise Fun!
by Gabe Mirkin, M.D. posted on Mar 30,2006
- Making Exercise More Enjoyable And Fun
by Jim O Neill posted on Apr 14,2006
- Core Training: Legit Or Just The Latest Fad?
by David Grisaffi, C.H.E.K. II posted on May 03,2006
- Secrets Of Stretching
by Howard VanEs, M.A. posted on Jun 13,2006
- Physical Benefits Of Trampoline Exercise
by John Furnem posted on Jun 27,2006
- The Top 5 Pilates Exercises to Get You Started!
by Anita Wisp posted on Jul 19,2006
- Yoga With A Balance Ball?
by Darry J.Oswald posted on Jul 25,2006
- Aerobics Workout
by David Evermon posted on Aug 04,2006
- An Introduction To Yoga For Beginners
by Michael Russell posted on Aug 25,2006
- Pranayama -- The Yoga of the Breath
by Jenn Courtney posted on Sep 03,2006
- Aerobics At Home
by Michael Russell posted on Sep 22,2006
- How to get a Quick Fat Blasting Workout in 5 Minutes
by John Grube posted on Oct 08,2006
- Top 5 Shoulder Exercise For Maximum Strength
by Francois L. Botha posted on Oct 17,2006
- Obtain Better Health With Yoga
by Jill Kane posted on Dec 21,2006
- Workout Routines
by Al Parker, MD posted on Feb 18,2007
- How To Lose Belly Fat With A 10 Minute Workout
by Steve Chaballa posted on Mar 29,2007
- The Lower Abdominals
by David Grisaffi posted on Aug 21,2007
- Working Out While You Are At Your Desk
by Bob Cotto posted on Sep 02,2007
- Abdominals: Boxers Have Great Abs and So Can You!
by David Grisaffi, C.H.E.K. II posted on Oct 05,2007
- 30-Minutes Daily Exercise - 10 Reasons Not to Miss it
by Amy Bomar posted on Jan 24,2008
- 8 Totally Easy Steps To Better Fitness
by Lynn Bode posted on Sep 28,2008
- Give the Gift of Fitness
by Lynn Bode posted on Dec 04,2008
- Six Week Holiday Survival Plan -- Stay Fit and Stress Free
by Lynn Bode posted on Dec 21,2008
Did you find this article helpful?
(total 22 votes)