Email to a friend
How To Get A Good Night's Sleep Naturally
by Dr. Rita Louise
If you do choose an herbal preparation, be sure to select an herbal fiber cleanse kit that utilizes psyllim fiber husks. Psyllim fiber has the ability to expand within the colon, absorbing waste and toxins as it gently passes from the body.
We all need sleep to survive. Doctors recommend that we get at least eight hours of sleep each night. The truth is we all have occasional nights where sleep eludes us.
Insomnia is defined as poor quality or unsatisfying sleep. It indicates all types of sleep loss. It can be short term and last for a few nights, or it can become a chronic condition that persists for months or even years. This includes not being able to fall asleep, waking up too early in the morning and not being able to fall back asleep again, waking up often during the night, as well as sleeping but waking up feeling unrefreshed.
There are a number of different reasons why people don't sleep well. If you can't find a valid reason for your sleep problems, such as chronic pain, restless leg syndrome, your bedroom is too hot or too cold, excessive noise in your environment or partner disturbances, then your sleeping disorder is most likely stress related. Research has identified stress as being the major cause of most sleep disorders. Sometimes we just get into a bad habit of poor sleep.
When we don't get enough sleep we can experience drowsiness, irritability, depression trouble concentrating or low energy. With that said, our sleep problem is unique. It is also important to remember that we are creatures of habit. But in the end, in order to ensure a good nights rest, it is vital to identify why you aren't sleeping so that lifestyle changes can be made and new habits formed.
Recommendations For Wellness
Perhaps you don't need 8 hours of sleep each night. Some people get along just fine with only 4-5 hours of sleep and show no ill effects. If this is you, relax – you're just fine. Take advantage of the extra time.
Don't lie in bed worrying about sleeping. Instead, get up and move around. Read a book, meditate or do some yoga. Most importantly, stay up until you feel sleepy again.
Write down your worries and concerns or make a list of tasks you need to accomplish the next day before going to bed.
Go to bed the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. This will help promote good sleep habits and reinforce your biological sleep clock.
Ensure that your bedroom temperature is to your preference, your mattress is comfortable and your pillow provides you with the proper amount of support. Keep your bedroom as dark as possible and wear pajamas that are loose fitting.
Before you go to bed, take a hot bath. Add 1-2 cups of Epsom salt and some essential oils such as clary sage or lavender oil. Turn down the lights and light a candle. Listen to some soothing music and allow your body to relax.
Try to get some physical activity every day. Studies show that the more active you are during the day the more you will be able to relax at night.
Reduce the amount of sugars, fats and preservatives you consume. Instead, eat a well balanced diet filled with lots of fruits and vegetables.
Avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea and many carbonated beverages, especially after 3pm each day.
Calcium and magnesium have a calming and relaxing effect on the body and muscles.
Melatonin is a hormone that helps our bodies regulate our sleep cycles and promotes sound sleep.
Chamomile, hops, passionflower, lemon balm and skullcap have historically been used as sleep aids.
One of the best herbs for insomnia is valerian root, especially when used on a regular basis. Taken for about a month, valerian root has been shown to promote deep relaxation and sleep.
Nature's Sunshine's Herbal Sleep is an herbal combination that provides natural sedative and calming effects on the body. It does not produce a "drugged-like" feeling that is often associated with pharmaceutical sedatives.
© Copyright Body, Mind & SoulHealer 2006. All rights reserved.
Naturopathic Physician, Dr. Rita Louise, Ph.D. is the author of the
books "Avoiding the Cosmic 2x4" and "The Power Within". It is her
unique gift as a medical intuitive and clairvoyant that illuminates
and enlivens her work. Let Dr. Louise help you bring health, healing
and wholeness back into your life. Medical Intuition & Energy
Medicine Certification training classes are now forming. Visit
http://www.soulhealer.com or call (972) 475-3393 for more information.
592 times read
| Related news
- Keeping Your Nervous System Healthy
by Dr_Wilson posted on Nov 23,2005
- Beating the Common Cold Naturally
by StewartH posted on Nov 15,2005
- How The Sun Is Absolutely Crucial To Your Health
by Dr_Randy posted on Nov 07,2005
- Basic Health Imbalances
by Dr_Wilson posted on Oct 10,2005
- Can Breast Cancer be Prevented?
by SusunW posted on Oct 04,2005
- Organic Agriculture
by Dr_Wilson posted on Oct 03,2005
- 7 Steps To Having More Energy
by MelanieM posted on Sep 20,2005
- How to Increase Your Energy Naturally
by AdamS posted on Sep 13,2005
- Ten Powerful Keys to Healing Yourself
by Wayne posted on Sep 11,2005
- Chronic Candida Albicans Infection
by Dr_Wilson posted on Sep 08,2005
- Why Modern Medicine is a Great Threat to Health
by Dr_Randy posted on Sep 05,2005
- All Natural Pain Relief Options
by LifeDynamix posted on Aug 30,2005
- How To Prevent Hypoglycemia
by Dr_Mericle posted on Aug 21,2005
- Water Fluoridation
by Dr_Wilson posted on Aug 20,2005
- X-Rays ? What You Don't See & Feel Can Hurt You
by Dr_Randy posted on Aug 19,2005
by Dr_Wilson posted on Aug 05,2005
- Fourteen Simple Things You Can Do To Reduce Your Risk for Breast Cancer
by Dr_Mericle posted on Aug 03,2005
- Finding That Elusive Cause
by Dr. Joel Brame posted on Jul 19,2005
- The Process Of Getting Well
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jul 17,2005
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine: Old Medicine, New Synergies
by Howard posted on Jul 11,2005
- Top 3 Back Pain Risk Factors
by Richard posted on Jul 03,2005
- Changing Your Habits
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jun 23,2005
- The Insidiousness of Breast Cancer and its Current Treatment
by Stephen posted on Jun 20,2005
- Aspartame -More Dangerous Than High Fructose Corn Syrup
by Dr_Mericle posted on Jun 17,2005
- Brain Fog
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jun 10,2005
- The Dangers Of Toxic Metals
by Dr_Wilson posted on May 10,2005
- Energy Healing
by Dr_Wilson posted on May 02,2005
by Dr_Wilson posted on Apr 21,2005
- Healing Vs. Symptom Removal
by Dr_Wilson posted on Apr 08,2005
- Why Use Hair Analysis To Design Nutritional Programs
by Dr_Wilson posted on Apr 03,2005
- Sleep And Rest For Health
by Dr_Wilson posted on Mar 28,2005
- Trust The Wisdom Of Flow
by Dr_Orloff posted on Mar 18,2005
- Biological Dentistry
by Dr_Wilson posted on Mar 16,2005
- Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders
by Dr_Wilson posted on Feb 22,2005
- Adrenal Burnout Syndrome
by Dr_Wilson posted on Feb 08,2005
- Preventing And Treating Infections Naturally
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jan 11,2005
- FDA Approves New Vision Procedure
by Dr_Kondrot posted on Sep 24,2004
- Reducing Your Need For Reading Glasses
by Dr_Kondrot posted on Aug 27,2004
- A D H D & Homeopathy
by Neepa posted on Jul 24,2004
- How To Increase Your Energy Level
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jul 14,2004
- Food Habits A Hidden Cause Of Addiction
by Lawrence Wilson M.D. posted on Jan 09,2006
- Adrenal Fatigue
by Valerie Balandra ARNP, BC posted on Feb 20,2006
- Essential Nutrients for Congestive Heart Failure
by Don Ford, M.D. posted on Mar 08,2006
- Aromatherapy for Adrenal Support - Using Essential Oils to Help Adrernal Fatigue
by Misty Rae Cech, ND posted on Mar 14,2006
- Sunlight for Your Life
by Dr. Jamie Fettig posted on Mar 15,2006
- 6 Steps to Manage Cancer Pain
by Toni Bernay, Saar Porrath posted on Mar 29,2006
- Pain and Gender
by Ann Berger, MSN, MD posted on Apr 05,2006
- The Simplest Asthma Solution
by Drs. Ralph & Lahni DeAmicis posted on Jun 24,2006
- Lifestyle Changes For Coping With Diabetes
by Michael Singer posted on Jun 25,2006
- Seaweed extract blocks HPV cervical cancer virus, scientists discover
by NewsTarget posted on Jul 15,2006
- Autism rates surge, say UK researchers
by NewsTarget posted on Jul 15,2006
- Body Has Antibiotic to Fight Urinary Tract Infection
by NewsTarget posted on Jul 15,2006
- Healing Through Qigong - The Art Of Breathing
by Eric Cho posted on Aug 05,2006
- Ways To Improve Your Eyesight
by Sharon Hopkins posted on Aug 24,2006
- Basics of Blood Pressure
by Michael Russell posted on Sep 20,2006
- Tips To Get Relief From Chronic Back Pain
by Javier Fuller posted on Oct 05,2006
- 12 Tips to Protect Your Body after Breast Cancer Surgery
by Patricia Wagner posted on Oct 06,2006
- Cancer Care: Integrating the Best of Western and Eastern Healing Wisdom
by Chris Teo, Ph.D. posted on Oct 11,2006
- How Smoking Increases The Risk Of Lung Cancer
by Gray Rollins posted on Oct 18,2006
- Chronic Fatigue -- The Facts You Should Know
by Heather Colman posted on Oct 27,2006
- Tips For Boosting Your Immune System
by Sarah Thomas posted on Oct 30,2006
- Fibromyalgia - A Commonly Misunderstood Diagnosis
by Jonathan Fay, M.D. posted on Nov 06,2006
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome And Colon Cleansing
by Susan Wilson posted on Nov 07,2006
- The Journey Through Cancer and The Seven Levels of Healing®
by Jeremy R. Geffen, MD, FACP posted on Nov 13,2006
- Helichrysum Essential Oil - A Magic Bullet For Treating Sports Injuries?
by Misty Rae Cech, ND posted on Nov 22,2006
- Macular Degeneration - Protect Your Vision
by John Mericle M.D. posted on Dec 06,2006
- A Guide To Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And Fibromyalgia
by Lee Dobbins posted on Jan 02,2007
- Checking For Skin Cancer
by Jonathon Hardcastle posted on Jan 09,2007
- Checking Blood Pressure
by David Williams posted on Jan 16,2007
- Boost Your Energy Using Color
by Candace Czarny, ASID, CFM, LEE posted on Feb 10,2007
- Melatonin, Sleep Enhancement, and ADHD
by Anthony Kane, MD posted on Feb 19,2007
- Ten Tips For A Safe Hospital Stay
by Dr. Laura Nathanson posted on Mar 16,2007
- Physical Treatments for Back Pain
by Anne Clarke posted on May 27,2007
- The Healing Power Of Music
by John McIntosh posted on Jun 28,2007
- Natural Pain Killers - Myth Or Reality?
by Steve Wagner posted on Aug 17,2007
- Meta-Physician On Call: Why Do We Feel Sick All the Time
by Steven E. Hodes, M.D. posted on Nov 13,2007
- In This Political Season, Health Care Reform is a Business Issue
by John Hammergren posted on Mar 20,2008
- Cherries For Your Pain
by Daniel Monroe posted on Jul 05,2009
Did you find this article helpful?
(total 6 votes)