Email to a friend
The Power Of Your Natural Self
by Dr. Brenda Shoshanna
If you do choose an herbal preparation, be sure to select an herbal fiber cleanse kit that utilizes psyllim fiber husks. Psyllim fiber has the ability to expand within the colon, absorbing waste and toxins as it gently passes from the body.
By Dr. Brenda Shoshanna
He was powerful not because he dominated the scene, but because he was being true.
The greatest gift we give one another is the gift of our natural selves. For some this is not difficult, but for most it takes practice to stop the games they play, take off their masks and return to their natural selves.
Our natural self is filled with strength, life, energy and enthusiasm. It has no fixed role, but moves, changes, laughs, speaks and cares easily. Its actions and responses are straightforward, appropriate to the situation and to what the moment asks of it. It has natural wisdom and timing. When we function from our natural selves, we become strong. It is easy then to succeed.
This is available to everyone, but we are usually out of touch with it. When we live too much out of fixed images, longing for approval and social demands our natural self goes into the background. When we live too much out of the idea of who we ?should? be, rather than who we ?are? our natural self has no place to shine.
In a sense, we are all like flowers longing for the light while we keep our petals closed. There is plenty of sun and light available, but if we are closed we to it we cannot feel the warmth.
Most are accustomed to living their lives securely, encased within their set roles. This kind of living becomes automated and when we go on this way for too long it is easy to feel trapped, burnt out or unfulfilled.
A true man belongs to no time or place, but is the center of things. Where he is, there is nature.? Emerson
For many the idea of being true has become confused with the idea of being selfish, not caring about the feelings of others. Just the opposite is so. When we are able to respond naturally and truthfully, enormous caring begins to arise.
As we respond to another from our natural selves, they feel it immediately. It usually strikes a chord. They feel they are not being manipulated, but are with someone who?s authentic. Trust develops and as it does, estrangement, conflict and resentment often disappear all by themselves.
On the other hand, when we act simply from set roles and expectations, we are implicitly demanding this kind same kind of behavior from others as well. This produces a strain for everyone, and it is no wonder why we often feel so relieved when a false person leaves and we can be ourselves once again.
Often a partnership or friendship will break up because the partners cannot step out of old, worn out patterns. They do not know how. They do not realize that it takes two to keep a difficulty going. They are so identified with the roles they are playing, with their demands and expectations, there is no room for the relationship to grow.
One of the most powerful ways of healing a relationship is by spending some time walking in your partner?s shoes. When you are more flexible and accepting, you can easily do this. As you do, your fixed, limited image of the other person (and of the relationship) cannot help but dissolve. Once it does, neither you nor the relationship will ever be the same again.
There are an infinite number of dances to do in a relationship, an infinite number of ways to relate. When you are coming from your natural self, you become able to break old patterns that are no longer useful and be spontaneous and flexible. And you help your partner be that way too.
We constantly need to broaden our horizons and see our interactions and ourselves in new ways. Sometimes the things we are most afraid of saying or doing are the things, which will bring the greatest help, clarity and certainty.
If we do not expand and grow, we begin to wither. Nothing can stay the same forever. By living from our natural selves and looking carefully at the roles we play and how we define them, we begin to have a sense of increased possibilities and aliveness. This a sure fire cures for all forms of depression, hopelessness and burnout. Try it and see.
Exercise: Meeting Your Natural Self
Look for a moment at what being your natural self means to you.
What do you love to do? Write it down.
What kind of people do you truly enjoy being with?
What do you love about your relationship? What no longer has value?
What behavior or pattern is old and worn out for you in your life?
Each day drop one worn out (or negative) behavior or pattern.
Make room for something new to appear. It will. Allow it.
Dr. Brenda Shoshanna, is a psychologist, relationship expert, author and speaker. This article is based upon her most recent book, Living By Zen, http://www.livingbyzen.com. Dr. Shoshanna offers talks and workshops and is also the author of Zen And The Art of Falling In Love, (Simon and Schuster), Why Men Leave, (Putnam) What He Can?t Tell You and Needs To Say, (Putnam), and Zen Miracles (Finding Peace In An Insane World), (Wiley). You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Her personal website is www.brendashoshanna.com
1976 times read
| Related news
- What Does It Take To Be Happy?
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Dec 13,2005
- How To Meditate In Eight Easy Steps
by DaniellaB posted on Dec 08,2005
- 'Pinging' You With Happiness! - or The Power Of Thought
by KateH posted on Dec 06,2005
- Is Everybody Happy? Keeping Your 'Hap Point' on a Roll
by KenL posted on Nov 29,2005
- Emotional Toxins
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Nov 21,2005
- Being Happy - What More Could You Ask For?
by GaryS posted on Nov 14,2005
- Emotional Detoxification
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Nov 12,2005
- What Really Creates Health And Well Being?
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on Nov 11,2005
- Getting Comfortable With Change: 5 Easy Steps
by VickiM posted on Nov 06,2005
- From Anger to Peace of Mind
by Dr. Brenda Shoshanna posted on Oct 12,2005
- Arguments Steal Mind Power
by StevenG posted on Sep 29,2005
- Problems ? Exercise for Your Brain
by Silver posted on Sep 28,2005
- Right Brain, Left Brain
by Dr_Johnson posted on Sep 23,2005
- When Change Happens (Dealing With Loss and Grief)
by Dr. Brenda Shoshanna posted on Sep 14,2005
- What is Mindfulness?
by Paul posted on Sep 10,2005
- About Emotional Child Abuse and Neglect
by BrendaH posted on Sep 09,2005
- Happiness - A Choice You Must Make
by Josh posted on Sep 03,2005
- Biofeedback: Applying the Mind to Health
by Gary posted on Sep 01,2005
- Why Kids Kill? Prozac And Alternatives
by Dr_Wilson posted on Aug 29,2005
- Self-Awareness and the Daily Affirmation
by Michael Anthony posted on Aug 22,2005
- Anger in Your Energy Field
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Aug 16,2005
- But I Bought All The Books And Tapes, And I'm Still Unhappy!
by Lance posted on Aug 14,2005
- All Your Problems Are Based In False Beliefs!
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Aug 09,2005
- Moving Through Breakdowns With Transformation
by Harry posted on Aug 08,2005
- Anchoring with NLP
by Adam Eason posted on Aug 02,2005
- Stepping Up to Clutter
by Maureen posted on Aug 01,2005
- Are You Always Late?
by Pauline posted on Jul 26,2005
- Intelligent Emotions
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Jul 22,2005
- Self-Opinions - Can Limit Our Lives
by Dr_Moloney posted on Jul 13,2005
- Psychological Tips for Effective Studying
by Dr_Hari posted on Jul 10,2005
- A Forty-Five-Second Meditation
by StevenG posted on Jul 08,2005
- Why Do We Feel Happiness?
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Jul 07,2005
- Are You a Negative Thinker?
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on Jun 24,2005
- The Best Remedy For Aging: A Great Attitude To Life
by Priyah posted on Jun 22,2005
- The Need for Sanctuary
by Silver posted on Jun 16,2005
- How to Train Your Brain to Keep You Healthy and Happy
by GrahamJulie posted on Jun 14,2005
- 7 Surprising Keys to Happiness
by Colin posted on Jun 11,2005
- What was your mind designed to do?
by Silver posted on May 25,2005
- Improving Self Esteem with Affirmations & Therapeutic Relaxation Music
by Harry posted on May 23,2005
- Secret Delights to Replace the Stress
by Silver posted on May 21,2005
by Dr_Wilson posted on May 19,2005
- Owner's Manual for Human Beings
by Michael Anthony posted on May 12,2005
- Refocusing the Effort
by Silver posted on May 04,2005
- A Conversation of Recovery
by Harry posted on Apr 28,2005
- Spring Cleaning
by Silver posted on Apr 25,2005
- Moving Through Life Hypnotized?
by Silver posted on Apr 13,2005
- Self-Care Using Self-Talk
by Silver posted on Apr 01,2005
- How to Balance and Ground your Life
by Jill posted on Mar 13,2005
by Silver posted on Feb 01,2005
- Depression And Body Chemistry
by Dr_Wilson posted on Jan 29,2005
- What We can Learn from Dolphins
by Silver posted on Jan 16,2005
- The Positive Energy of Giving Can Change the World
by Dr_Orloff posted on Dec 21,2004
- Forget Your Troubles, C'mon Get Happy!
by Silver posted on Dec 16,2004
- Focusing Styles
by Silver posted on Dec 02,2004
- Part Of the Change Your Focus Series
by Silver posted on Nov 18,2004
- Energy Vampires Part 2
by Dr_Orloff posted on Oct 21,2004
- Build Vitality And Stop Energy Vampires From Draining You
by Dr_Orloff posted on Oct 15,2004
- Waiting For Them To Change
by Silver posted on Sep 12,2004
- Strategies For Overcoming Fear
by Dr_Orloff posted on Sep 08,2004
- Positive Energy: Laughter The Tenth Prescription
by Dr_Orloff posted on Aug 10,2004
by Lee posted on Jul 14,2004
- Meditation Shown To Increase Happiness
by Steve posted on Apr 01,2004
- Unleashing The Power Of The Mind
by Dr. Nick Arrizza posted on Dec 25,2005
by Debbie Gisonni posted on Dec 31,2005
- New Beginnings (Zen Steps For Starting Fresh)
by Dr. Brenda Shoshanna posted on Jan 03,2006
- Are You Feeling the Wintertime Blues?
by David Edelberg, M.D. posted on Jan 05,2006
- The Power of The Thoughts
by Mathew Greem posted on Jan 08,2006
- Is This Depression? Screening Tool and Simple Ways to Feel Better
by Cynthia McKenna posted on Jan 20,2006
- The Hidden Powers of Chakra Meditation
by Anna Dorbyk posted on Jan 22,2006
- Conquering Fear
by Chris Wesley posted on Jan 27,2006
- Depression and Diet: Lack of Omega 3's?
by Gabe Mirkin, M.D. posted on Feb 03,2006
- Stress Is All Internally Generated By Your Limiting Beliefs
by Nick Arrizza M.D. posted on Mar 01,2006
- Stress And Illness
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on Mar 06,2006
- 10 Simple Steps to Program Your Subconscious Mind
by David Holmes posted on Mar 07,2006
- Depression- Self Help With Meditation
by Dr. Pradeep Chadha posted on Mar 12,2006
- Are You Using All The Power Of Your Mind?
by Marian Massie posted on Mar 16,2006
- What is NLP?
by Adam Eason posted on Mar 20,2006
- Be Happy - One of the Greatest Source of Happiness - Nature
by Pradeep Gusain posted on Mar 22,2006
- What About Drugs For Anxiety and Depression?
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on Mar 28,2006
- Clean Out the Clutter and Move Forward in Your Life
by Sabrina Schleicher, Ph.D. posted on Mar 31,2006
- Ten Tips For Restful Sleep
by Wayne McDonald posted on Apr 03,2006
by Life Dynamix posted on Apr 04,2006
- Secrets of Meditation For Better Health
by Matt P. Clarkson posted on Apr 13,2006
- Meditation to Relieve Stress: The Connection between Mind and Body
by Anna Dorbyk posted on Apr 21,2006
- Why Mind Power Works for Some but Not Others
by Dr. Tim Ong posted on Apr 27,2006
- Suggestions On How To Meditate
by Katheryn Hoban posted on May 01,2006
- Happiness Takes Work: 5 Choices to Create Happiness
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on May 09,2006
- How to Reclaim Your Life's Happiness by Demolishing the #1 Self-Esteem Killer
by Dr. Joe Rubino posted on May 11,2006
- Meditation Music
by Jamie Lynn posted on May 12,2006
- Want More Fun in Your Life? -- Remember Your Laugh List
by John P. Strelecky posted on May 20,2006
- Music Therapy: A Peaceful Revolution
by Sam Pasco posted on Jun 04,2006
- Feed Your Mind Only What You Want More Of
by Silver Rose posted on Jun 08,2006
- Exercise Your Brain
by Terry Wisner posted on Jun 11,2006
- Toxic Guilt, Healthy Guilt
by Margaret Paul, Ph.D. posted on Jun 17,2006
- Are Your Lifestyle Habits Killing You?
by Freelance Writer posted on Jun 21,2006
- What Causes Autism? A Controversial New Theory
by Katerina Mitrou posted on Jun 28,2006
- Wake Up With An Alarm
by Triston Huntsmin posted on Jul 02,2006
- What are my 3 main unhappy habits?
by Elaine Hamilton posted on Jul 13,2006
- Beauties of the Moment
by Robert Curtis posted on Jul 15,2006
- Change your mind and the rest will follow!
by Deon Du Plessis posted on Jul 18,2006
- How To Create A Happiness Habit
by Mary Ann Troiani posted on Jul 21,2006
- Direct Your Thoughts
by Thea Westra posted on Jul 23,2006
- Put Your Mind to It — Play, That Is
by Silver Rose posted on Jul 27,2006
- Meditation - Relieve Stress and Live Longer
by Penny Dablin posted on Jul 30,2006
- Music To Your Ears - The Healing Way
by Eric Cho posted on Aug 06,2006
- Four Reasons Why You Should Learn To Meditate
by Chris Le Roy posted on Aug 08,2006
- Chronic Insomnia
by Jason Rickard posted on Aug 18,2006
- Three Steps to Take Charge of Your Life
by Dorothy M. Neddermeyer, PhD posted on Aug 31,2006
- Anxiety Cures
by Eddie Tobey posted on Sep 21,2006
- How To Effectively Fall Asleep
by Jason Rickard posted on Oct 16,2006
- Instant Meditation
by Paddy Landau posted on Oct 19,2006
- Introduction To Aromatherapy
by Barbara Williams posted on Oct 22,2006
- Achieve Success with a “Daily Brain Workout”
by Eunice Coughlin posted on Oct 31,2006
- Holistic Depression Therapy: Treating Signs Of Anxiety And Depression With Natural Antidepressants
by Athlyn Green posted on Nov 14,2006
- Chat Rooms for Depression: A Lifeline For People Seeking Information, Help, And Treatment Options
by Athlyn Green posted on Nov 18,2006
- How Can I Relieve Stress And Anxiety Naturally?
by Darrell Miller posted on Nov 26,2006
- Three Ways You Aggravate Stress – And How To Find Bliss
by Joseph R. Plazo posted on Nov 27,2006
- Uncover the 7 Possible Ways That Can Help To Improve Your Life
by John Peace posted on Nov 28,2006
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - Tips To Help Get You Through The Blues
by Joe Stevens posted on Dec 04,2006
- Stress Relief In 15 Minutes
by Merry Rose posted on Dec 13,2006
- 10 Ways To Bring More Happiness Into Your Life
by Fiona Allen posted on Dec 14,2006
- Relaxation Magic - Hypnosis, Meditation, Visualization
by Maryann Laraia posted on Dec 15,2006
- Defeating Negative Self-Talk - Quit Beating Yourself Up
by L. John Mason posted on Jan 05,2007
- The Science of Happy (Manifesting Desires)
by Susan James posted on Jan 20,2007
- Emotional Health: Life, Love, And The Pursuit Of Happiness
by Mark D. Houston posted on Jan 22,2007
- The Importance of Your Earliest Memories
by Ken Wallace, M. Div., CSL posted on Feb 02,2007
- The Importance of Sleep in Preventing Burnout
by Talia Mana posted on Mar 01,2007
- Everything About the Law of Attraction Is a Lie
by Marc De Bruin posted on Mar 04,2007
- Top 7 Tips for Inner Peace
by Richard Pettinger posted on Mar 05,2007
- Power of Positive Thought Energy
by Santhanam Nagarajan posted on Mar 11,2007
- Quit Monkeying Around
by Silver Rose posted on Mar 21,2007
- For Best Results Let Go Of The Energy Drains And Attract What You Really Want
by Nancy Mindes posted on Mar 30,2007
- No Body is Perfect: Body Image and Shame
by Brené Brown, Ph.D., L.M.S.W. posted on Apr 02,2007
- 7 Tips To Overcoming Depression
by Rebecca Osborn posted on Apr 04,2007
- Reduce Emotional Stress by Falling Madly in Love with Yourself
by Sandra Dawson posted on Apr 11,2007
- Manifesting with Intent Through Brainwave Entrainment
by Charlsie Winston posted on Apr 16,2007
- Hypnosis Gives You That Burst Of Mental Energy To Succeed On The Field
by Terry Doherty posted on Apr 18,2007
- Stress And Your Diet
by Jeff Foster posted on May 01,2007
- The Big Secret of Happy People
by Lonnie Young posted on May 02,2007
- Keeping Yourself Positive
by Peck Ling Phua posted on May 10,2007
- Anxiety Attack Relief Methods that Work
by Paul Dylan posted on May 15,2007
- Understanding Meditation
by Nachiketa Mishra posted on May 16,2007
- How To Break The Addiction To Anger
by Dr. Brenda Shoshanna posted on Jun 14,2007
- Overcoming Phobias
by Ken Fields posted on Jul 12,2007
- Brain Exercise in Guided Meditation for Self Development
by Laurie Raphael posted on Jul 14,2007
- Dealing With Panic and Anxiety Attacks
by Tim Shank posted on Jul 17,2007
- Methods of Meditation
by Premansu Chand posted on Jul 31,2007
- Pure Awareness, Pure Seeing, Pure Being Is Who You Are
by E. Elysha posted on Aug 18,2007
- How Can You Improve Your Mind's Fitness
by Codant Wright posted on Aug 28,2007
- The Secret To Achieving Complete Happiness Instantly - Part 1
by Don McCauley posted on Sep 05,2007
- Easy Meditation through Active (Coloring) Meditation
by Michelle Normand posted on Sep 09,2007
by Dr. Laila Ahmed posted on Sep 13,2007
- Habits of Happiness
by Silver Rose posted on Sep 15,2007
- Control Your Thoughts - A Meditation Misconception
by Darin Searcy posted on Oct 02,2007
- The Art of Remembering and Interpreting Dreams
by Judith Orloff, M.D. posted on Oct 07,2007
- Can You Get Anxiety Relief When The Thing You Fear is All Around You?
by Sylvia Dickens posted on Oct 23,2007
- Meta-Physician On Call: Self Healing for the Mind and Emotions
by Steven E. Hodes, M.D. posted on Nov 06,2007
Did you find this article helpful?
(total 14 votes)